Friday, April 9, 2010

Inventor Showcase: The Chair Bib

I am so pleased to be showcasing Aimee Purcell, the inventor of The Chair Bib, which is the invention that most people say, "Why didn't I think of that?"  It has been such a pleasure getting to know Aimee and watch her GO FOR IT!  She has been getting out there with her invention going to trade shows and receiving wonderful reviews!!!  Lets all get to know Aimee and her awesome invention:

Q. How did you come up with the idea of The Chair Bib?
I came up with the idea for The Chair Bib when my son was "graduating" from the high chair to the booster seat.  We placed the booster seat onto my new wooden chair.  Everything was great until I realized that the booster seat was scratching my new chair!  We tried placing a towel under the booster seat but it never stayed in place.  I looked on-line for a solution and couldn't find one.  I knew I wasn't the only mom in America with this problem and at that moment I decided to invent The Chair Bib.
  


Q.  What unique features does The Chair Bib have?

In coming up with the patent pending design I knew I wanted it to be simple and easy to use for moms (and dads).  The Chair Bib is unique because it does not require the use of any velcro, ties, snaps or fasteners.  The elastic band allows The Chair Bib to stretch up and over the back of the armless chair and then onto the seat!  The fleece patterns are also a unique feature, the kids love them!  My "little" customers are proud of their special chairs!

 
Q. What was your experience like in the actual design and sewing of your product?


Designing for The Chair Bib was no small task.  I knew exactly what function I wanted The Chair Bib to have but to actually make it work to fit most armless chairs was very difficult.   It took about a week and a lot of wasted material but I'll never forget when I finally did it!  I was rushing to pick up my oldest daughter at soccer.  Before I left I made the design work and I had butterflies because I knew I had just invented something very special!  It was a surreal feeling.

 
Q. How do you balance launching a new invention with family?


I have three healthy, beautiful, active kids and the most amazing husband any women could ask for.  To say my life is busy is the biggest understatement of the year!  In order for me to stay home my husband works two jobs so I basically do everything else.  Now with this new exciting chapter in my life I have realized that I am great at time management!  It's amazing what I can get accomplished in 3 hours while my youngest is in pre-school.  Being a mom is without question the most difficult job in the world and for me that comes first.  Without the support and love from my husband I would not have been able to invent The Chair Bib, he has without question made the difference.

 
Q. What did you do prior to your invention?

Before inventing The Chair Bib I was (and still am) a stay at home mom.  But before kids I worked as a comptroller for a commercial real estate developer.  They inspired me to go to college at night, it took me 5 1/2 long years but I finally received my bachelor's degree in Business Management from Northeastern University. 
 

Q. What fact would readers find interesting about you?


Staying active and healthy are very important to me.  I try to eat right and work out at least 3 times per week, usually walking or jogging outside.  I do not belong to a gym, I'd much rather be outdoors enjoying the beauty of nature.  I was always an athlete in high school playing field hockey, basketball and softball.  Now during the spring/summer months I play on a women's softball team in my home town of Wakefield Mass.  Lastly, my husband Brian and I are both the same age, both from Wakefield and starting dating when we were 16, high school sweethearts!  We've been together for 24 years and will celebrate out 15th wedding anniversary in August.

No comments: