Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Whittle Your Waistline Wednesday!

Welcome to the first weekly installment of Whittle Your Waistline Wednesdays with Jen! Let’s face it women love to discuss and share ideas about how to shed those few extra pounds, so I thought it would be fun to have this feature on Wednesdays to share what I’ve learned over the years. I try not to make too many big promises to myself this time of year because in true Gemini fashion I will totally jinx them into oblivion. I will only say that my goal this year is to try to be the best version of me that I can be. Talk less, listen more, read more and watch less television at night…and get back down to my fightin’ weight! I have tried lots of things over the years and now I sort of pool the things together that work best for me.

Please take what looks interesting and DO please share with us what works for you! So, without further ado, here is what my day on a “diet” looks like today:
NOTE: I am 42 and things have slowed down a bit so I like to have some sort of nutritional intake every two hours – it’s not as hard as it sounds!

FIRST THING

One of the best pieces of advice my beloved Gram ever gave me was to drink a big glass of water first thing in the morning! Just do it!

BREAKFAST (for me between 7-8 a.m.)

Must have – Coffee w/lowfat half/half OR Big cup Green Tea with lemon

Option 1: 3 eggs (ditch 2 of the yolks!) scrambled with a little olive oil and chopped veggies. Whatever you like! I love it with chopped mushrooms and/or fresh baby spinach. Season with red pepper flakes…EASY on the salt! If you can’t live without it have ONE piece of whole wheat toast – plain .

Option 2: Yummy Smoothie - Half scoop EAS Whey Protein Powder (Vanilla) (you can buy big bag at Sam’s!) in blender w/ 8 oz. water and ½ cup frozen berries – throw in a splash of skim or lowfat milk if you like!

SNACK

I am very busy, so I will grab my shaker, throw in ½ scoop of protein powder with 6-8 oz. of water and drink.

LUNCH

1 can fancy albacore tuna in water mixed with 1 tbs. light mayo, one blob of Dijon mustard, fresh ground pepper – then add in ½ cup steamed brown rice (I steam the rice ahead and keep it in the fridge). I also like spicy things so, don’t be afraid to throw a little of your favorite hot sauce on! Try it – it’s good!
SNACK

Fiber One Bar (oats and strawberries with almonds is my fav) This helps me through the hungriest part of my day. Big glass of water!

DINNER

Grilled chicken breast w/steamed broccoli – which might not sound great UNTIL you sauté the two together with garlic, a pinch of sea or course (kosher) salt and a small palm full of pine nuts! A sprinkle of parmesean cheese won’t kill you either! I LOVE THIS MEAL!!

LATE NIGHT SNACK (usually around 9 p.m.)

I personally love the concepts of the Zone diet and also Ann Louise Gittleman’s Fast Track Detox Diet and so incorporate what I have learned from the two. One of the things I have learned is that a late night snack is just as important as breakfast to keep your metabolism burning through the night. I have also found that when I incorporate this properly, the result is a better nights sleep.

6 oz. lowfat or skim milk (convenient/easy) OR
Small slice of cheddar cheese w/6 oz. red wine

These are perfectly balanced “snacks”

Lastly, I will get to the gym or outside (burr) for 3 miles, 3-4 days this week. One down (Monday), two to go!

We'll be checking in next week, but until then we want to know your secrets for staying healthy so we can try them as well!

5 comments:

Tracy said...

This is great! I can't wait to try the chicken dinner - yum!

Ros said...

I enjoy a good crunch every now and then, so to combat the urge to eat chips (and sometimes the entire bag, yes it's disgusting), I crunch on some popcorn.

Unknown said...

It's impossible to just have one chip...for me one becomes the entire bag before I know it. I try not to keep it in the house, or it'll be gone. I agree, popcorn is a much better alternative and satisfies the snack craving.

Tracy said...

Speaking of chips, Jillian from the Biggest Loser recommends Pop Chips. They are hard to find but once you do, you'll be hooked! They are super delicious!

Ros said...

Whaaat? ....There's chips I can indulge in without the "heavy" guilt? Yippeeee! Gotta go get me some Pop Chips... & ya know, might just eat the whole bag too. Hee. =) Thanks for the tip Tracy.