Thursday, January 28, 2010

Inventor Showcase: Prissy Designs Diaper Clutch

We are so excited to have Prissy Designs Diaper Clutch on Womentorz.  Laura Page has been a great addition to our inventor family and a true pleasure to get to know.  Her product is an incredibly stylish and efficient way to run out the door with your little one knowing you're well prepared for the always unplanned little and sometimes big present left for us mommies.  Here's our Q&A with Laura:

Q. When did you think of the idea of the Prissy Designs Diaper Clutch?

 I was pregnant with my third child.  My second was only 9 months old when I became pregnant  again. A friend of mine had given me a fabric diaper holder as a gift to carry diapers and wipes in.  This was great but I noticed that when I wanted to go somewhere quick I found myself sticking my keys, license, cash as well as a small blanket in there to lay her on so she wouldn’t have to lay on a dirty surface.  I was never a person to carry around anything that really looked like a diaper bag I am definitely a purse lover.  One day while I was out and had to change her diaper I thought it would be great to have a small purse to carry the diapers as well as everything else but that would also have a changing area.  I did look and knew there were others out there but nothing that was what I was looking for.  I wanted it to look like a clutch and have the convenience of carrying the essentials but be completely machine washable as well.  That is when the designing and sewing begun.



Q. What are the features of your invention that differentiates it from anything else on the market?

 I have included a key ring and id holder in each of the bags for convenience you can just grab and go.  I have designed them to look like a purse on the outside but have a cute stylish pattern on the inside no one ever knows I am carrying a diaper bag.  The whole bag including the soft fleece changing area is one piece which is machine washable.  Just remove the ID holder and throw in the wash that’s it.

Q. How long did it take to have your invention made? Were there any hiccups in the process?


I started out by making my own pattern out of a manila folder which I still use up to now   The first attempt was pretty scary but it was my sample which I showed to several close friends to get an opinion.  Once I knew it was what I wanted It took about 3 different attempts to get it just right. 

I then started purchasing fabric to get started. I find it difficult when I find specific fabric for a product and I go back to find it is no longer available.  I have already had issues with specific fabrics being discontinued or not being able to find them again. So I either try to find a popular fabric that I know I can order or if I really like one I buy all I can then just make it until I run out.

Q. What or who motivates you through those challenging moments?



I find that that when I am having moments of stress and trying to find time or motivation to get things moving along that my family and friends are my greatest support.  My husband has been very supportive of all of my crazy ideas that I have had over the years.  He is always there to listen to my ideas and give me opinions and advice as well as deal with the crazy amounts of fabric and mess building up everywhere.  My son is also a great supporter.  He is 8 years old and always loves to join me at boutique events that I go to.  He is the best sales person and I think he is always quite proud to be there with me.

Q. How do you juggle your business with family life and its daily demands?


I just try to take it one day at a time.  I currently work full time during the week so when I get home it is all about the family, dinner, playing and spending quality time.  After bedtime is when I get to work cutting patterns and sewing, that is if I have the energy after a long day at work.  Sometimes I save it for the weekends. 

Q. If you had a day to spend in any way you choose how would you spend it?



I think I would spend the day with my husband and kids at Disneyland or Sea World.  We haven’t been able to take a fun family trip with them yet and I think that they would really enjoy it as much as I would enjoy seeing their faces.

1 comment:

Ros said...

Sweet interview Laura. Like you, I'd love to spend all day, any day with my family. Enjoyed your interview.