Thursday, October 15, 2009

Q/A with Jennifer Cannon, VP of Global Communications, Part 1


Q-How did you and your business partner, Melinda Knight, meet?

A-Melinda and I met at the Chicago casting call for Milojo’s (Kelly Ripa’s production co.) Women Inventor Show.

I decided to stay at the hotel where the call was held the night before so that I could be in the lobby as early as possible the next morning. I had no idea if fifty or several hundred women would show up. It was all pretty mysterious with even the hotel staff not knowing much about what was going on.

I resisted the urge to be in the lobby at 5:00 a.m. and instead went down at 6:00 a.m. There were just a couple of other ladies there and I joined them in a small seating area. It must have been right around or a little before 7:00 a.m. when Melinda made her way over and sat down behind me on the fireplace hearth. I turned around to say hello because a) it’s in my nature and b) most of the ladies were pretty friendly and introducing themselves to one another.

When I heard more about her, I couldn’t believe that she flew across the country with a recumbent bike which she still had to put together before we went in! We chatted until it was time to go downstairs but then lost track of each other before going in to register.

After my turn in the "30 second room" I was able to say goodbye and exchange information with a few of the ladies and Melinda before I ran out the door. I am realizing more and more how fateful that day was! I was also surprised recently to learn from her that I was the first person she met that day. Alot has happened in a very short time!

Q- What are your hopes for Womentorz?

A- I feel so passionately about the need to create and connect and share information with others that I hope that Womentorz is going to be a place that encompasses all of those things for many, many women.

I see a global e-commerce site with women from all over the world joining together and selling high-quality, innovative products- creating a one-of-a-kind shopping experience for all consumers. I would also love to see a “Young” or “Junior” Womentorz for girls ages thirteen to eighteen.

I hope that we can help a lot of women out there realize their entrepreneurial dreams.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this...really love the Junior inventor idea...that sounds like something Miss Oprah would be into.

Jen C. said...

I bet there are Junior Womentorz just waiting to be discovered within her school in Africa! It would also be really cool to help foster Junior Womentorz here for young girls who don't have access to resources for bringing their ideas to life.

One thing at a time right!?

Ros said...

I'm so thrilled about the upcoming launch and look forward to connect, learn and be inspired.

Thank you for bringing your creativity and passion to life.

Jen C. said...

Thank you for the kind words Ros!