Sunday, September 13, 2009

Life is Short, So Live Each Day Like it’s Your Last


Today I find myself emotionally distracted as most of my thoughts are on my best friend, Christie, who passed away seven years ago from cancer. You see, today is her birthday and every year her family coordinates a boating trip to celebrate her life. She would have been 36 years old today if she was still alive.

Christie was a very special person with a carefree outlook on life. Everyone who knew her loved her. She was dearly loved by her family and friends and will always be missed. I feel very blessed that I was able to be in her wedding and she in mine as those memories are so precious. I realize that many of the decisions I’ve made personally and professionally after her death were a direct result to how she lived her life. She would constantly remind me of what is important in life and every moment you have on this Earth should be cherished. If you have a dream, make it happen. If you’re angry with someone, get over it. If you have children, spend as much time as possible loving them.

Christie was by far the strongest and most stoic person I have ever met. She never complained and was just happy to have one more day to spend with her family. I’m so happy to have had her in my life, though it was cut short. In one of my last visits with her I mentioned how I didn’t want to go to our upcoming class reunion and complained about frivolous things. All she said in return is, “I would give anything to go.” Boy, if that doesn’t give you new perspective, I don’t know what else will. I immediately realized my foolishness. She just wanted to live long enough to go to the reunion to say goodbye to everyone, but she passed two months prior.

I was so heartbroken and could only think about a way she could say her final goodbye to everyone, so I made a movie about her life. I didn’t realize what a gift this movie has been for her family and loved ones. We will be watching it tonight along with her two beautiful daughters in celebration of her life. I hope the movie I have provided for your viewing will allow you to see a glimpse of what a wonderful person she was. I hope we all can live life as she did!

1 comment:

Jen C. said...

Oh...I am so sorry for the loss of your friend Mel. What a beautiful gift you have given her family and friends with this video. I love that Shania Twain song...

It is good to remember.

Typing through a few tears,

Jen