Thursday, November 18, 2010

Homemade Millionaire is the Reason Womentorz was Born

It's hard to believe that it was over a year ago that I attended the casting call held in Chicago for a show being produced by Kelly Ripa and part of the TLC Channel now called Homemade Millionaire. At the time I was just at the prototype phase of my invention called the AttachaTray, which was a laptop tray that attached to a recumbent bike.  I had two weeks to prepare for my trip and finish my prototype.

You see, I'm not comfortable speaking in front of large crowds, so this was a terrifying concept for me to wrap my brain around, but something told me that I should go for it.  My invention was quite expensive to have manufactured, so having an avenue where this could be backed financially and instantly marketed was an opportunity I couldn't pass up.

I was soon off to Chicago with recumbent bike and invention in tow.  In a way it was good that I didn't have a lot of time to prepare and over think the process.  The morning of the big day came and I felt pretty good besides the butterflies that wouldn't stop making me feel like I was going to lose my breakfast.  When  I got to the hotel where the auditions were being held I was immediately surrounded by amazing women who put my nerves at ease.  We all had a lot of time in line together and I was amazed at how far along they were in the inventing process.  Many of them had already had their product manufactured and were all over the web, but they were running into challenges getting exposure for their product.  This is why they were auditioning for the show.  I saw how much passion they had for their inventions and how much they had invested financially and emotionally.

It was finally my turn, which came and went so fast I'm not sure what I even said.  After being in line with so many fantastic women I new that my chances were slim to none to get on the show, but there was something in my gut that told me I was there for a different reason.  I couldn't help feeling at ease.  On the flight back form Chicago the concept of Womentorz came to me.  I thought, "How great would it be to use the group marketing concept where all of these inventions and inventors could be found in one location and use the power in numbers to their advantage."

The process of building Womentorz began soon after, which has been quite the roller coaster ride for the past year.  I have so many amazing women in my life now who, if it hadn't been for the audition for Homemade Millionaire, I would have never met.  This show will hold a very fond place in my heart because I know what the women on the show went through to get this opportunity.  Please tune in on November 19th at 10:00/9:00c.  I know I will!


5 comments:

Lynn said...

Thanks for sharing your story, Melinda. You are absolutely right! You came back from this a different person with a wonderful idea about how to help women in ways they really need. And of course, I'm not sure we would have met you without this trip back east! Grateful you took the step!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Lynn!!! I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. I wouldn't trade my experiences over the past year for anything. I'm grateful to have met you and Corey as well.

Ro Wagner said...

It's the big night!! It's bittersweet to see how far we've all come in the last year because of this casting. I'm a firm believer that we all got here because of team work. Networking with other women inventors is the best tool-we all have something to bring to the table. Thanks to all who have shared their knowledge with me!! :)

Wishing you all tremendous success!!

Cheers!
Ro

Ros said...

I'm blessed to have stumbled across Womentorz and credit Ro Wagner. She was so pumped about your vision and was promoting it on another site for women entrepreneurs. Her enthusiasm about Melinda & Womentorz definitely caught my attention, I just had to check it out. Once I clicked onto the Womentorz site & read your bio, I was Hooked instantly. I knew I found my home where I can grow & learn. Thank you Melinda for your courage & hardwork to make Womentorz what it is today.

Here's to your mind-blowing success!!
Ros

jimd said...

I accompanied nearly ten inventors to the NY casting call and it sure was a crazy day! Not to mention the torrential rains and people had to stand outside!! I have been watching the show and so far I am lukewarm on it...just not sure why I don't love it. Maybe because there have been other shows like it...but anyway it offers some really important learning points for aspiring inventors so it is worth watching.....Jim